Thursday, April 23, 2009

It's Getting Hot

I was beginning to think that maybe this summer in Iraq would be the coldest on record. However, today proved my theory wrong. The last few weeks have been very mild. The highs are usually in the 80s. The evenings are really nice with temperatures in the 70s. Today, on the other hand, the highs were in the low 100s. Despite my fears, it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. It is really hot walking around in town with all of my gear on, but it wasn't too bad. Still, I am not looking forward to the 130 degree temperature that I have been hearing about.

There are really not many updates. I finally moved into a new room with one other LT and two NCOs. We each have a bunk bed with an empty top bunk. I put all of my wet weather and cold weather gear up on top. Underneath my bed, I keep a big duffel bag with all of my uniforms. In between the bottom and top bed, I have a wooden plank that makes a nice shelf for my alarm clock, flashlight, snacks, and Calvin and Hobbes books.

Work has been ok. Some weeks I am not very busy and other weeks, like this one, I am very busy. Last week I don't think I even left the JSS. This week, I am going out every day. Sometimes twice a day. Although it is tiring, going out on missions makes the days go by very quickly. I would much rather go out on missions than stay on the JSS all the time. Luckily, in my position, I pretty much get to choose what I do. I tell the PLs (platoon leaders) when I need to go out and they either let me ride in the back of one of their Humvees, or they will have me command a humvee. I prefer to be the TC (truck commander) because if I get sent back to the field artillery battalion, 1-82FA, I will most likely be a PL leading patrols and I need to get some experience doing that here while I can.

I guess the most exciting thing that has happened was our Excalibur mission. Brigade mandated that we fire an Excalibur (155mm GPS guided artillery) round. My team shot it at an abandoned building out in a field and totally demolished it.

Becky is down in New Mexico visiting Jimmy and Alexis at their new home. I really haven't talked to her much lately and just yesterday the phones on the JSS stopped working. I miss her a lot. I have been gone for 11 weeks and 1 day. That means I only have 40 weeks and 6 days left!!

No comments: