I am sure that some of you are wondering what I am doing over here now that the June 30th security agreement has passed. Well, right now, I am doing nothing. For the first few days after the ne agreement, we are just laying low. The Iraqis are celebrating and we don't want to get in their way. We are worried that these days would be a prime time for the bad guys to attack us. The reason for this is that most people don't understand the full concept of the agreement. Everyone just hears that Coalition Forces are pulling out of the cities. They don't hear that "the cities" doesn't mean every city in Iraq. This only includes the major urban areas. Our area of operations is a rural district just north of Baghdad. Because the Iraqi government classifies it as a rural "Kada," we are not required to leave the area. When we show up in town after all the Iraqis are celebrating our absence, it might cause some problems.
Although, we are still remaining in our city, things will be different. The Iraqi Security Forces (ISF) are now in the lead. Supposedly, we are here now for support only. Before, we would plan all of our missions and then tell the Iraqi Police or the National Police that we need some of them to ride along with us in order to qualify as a Joint Patrol. Now, we are supposed to let the Iraqis be in charge and only go out with them when they request our presence. The only problem with this is that they are lazy and they are corrupt. If we didn't pressure them to patrol or give them ideas of things they can do, they would do nothing. Now, just because they don't ask us to go on patrols doesn't mean we're not going to do anything. We will still attend the Nahia (city council) Meetings in town. We will still drive around and give out Micro Grants to small businesses. We will still work with engineers and city planners to fix their sewage, water, and trash problems. Most importanty, we will still do whatever it takes to protect ourselves.
I was looking through my camera to see what kind of pictures I could post. Let me tell you, its pretty dissapointing and boring. Here are a few pictures that show just a few of the things I do.
I go to Compact Water Treatment Units to figure out what the problems are and how we can get help get drinking water into the city

I buy things to support my troop like safes, refrigerators, weight machines, and TVs with OMA funds with a very annoying thing called FOO money that is more of a pain than it is worth

I take pictures of CF emplaced solar lights in town so we can get a contract for maintenance on them

And of course, I attend tons and tons of BORING meetings. This guy on the left is most likely saying "Mista..baby." As in, "please, we need money for the baby."

Around July 15th, I will finally be headed over to 1-82 Field Artillery Battalion. There, I will most likely be a Platoon Leader. Right now I am only responsible for 3 soldiers. When I become a PL, I will have around 30 soldiers. I don't have a clue what it will be like there or what I will be doing. I promise I will let you know in an update when I get there.
2 comments:
WE miss you Nathan!
7 more months isn't that bad. I mean, that is basically half way. And halfway is only 6 months, but with R&R, it is only really 5 months. And 5 months goes super fast. So really, it's only like a few weeks.
Post a Comment