Monday, August 9, 2010

Fredericksburg Peaches

This last weekend was a three day weekend for Nathan and we decided to check out Fredericksburg, TX. Fredericksburg is a small German town about two hours away from Killeen. Nathan got off work by 1500 on Thursday and we hopped into the car and headed down to Fredericksburg. When we got there we went to the local farmers' market and tried some of their yummy peaches. After we tried some of the local fruits and veggies we headed down to Main Street and walked up and down it checking out some of the local stores. Unfortunately, we didn't get down there until 1730 and almost all of the stores were closed. We were pretty hot after walking the street and so we decided to head in to the A/C and get some dinner at the highly recommended Auslander Restaurant. Nathan had Opa's Sausage for dinner along with some potato cakes. I ate some unauthentic grilled chicken. After a yummy dinner we headed back to our hotel and took a dip in the pool to cool off. It was a lot of fun and very relaxing. The next morning Nathan and I went and checked out the National Museum of the Pacific war. The Museum is HUGE and Nathan and I only scratched the surface but it was very interesting. We only checked out the main museum. We will have to go back and see the Admiral Nimitz Museum and the combat zone that has reenactments and guided tours. For those of you who don't know, Admiral Nimitz was born in Fredericksburg, TX. After spending a couple of hours at the museum Nathan and I headed off to the Marburger Orchards to pick some yummy peaches. We were surprised by how small the peach trees were but we were able to quickly pick a 1/2 bushel of peaches in no time. After getting all hot and sweaty from picking peaches we headed back to Killeen and made it home by 1500. The next morning Nathan and I went for our Saturday morning run and then I made some yummy peach crepes for breakfast. I got the recipe from my grandma and it was the first time Nathan ever had crepes. Since Nathan and I can't eat crepes for every meal I decided to try my hand at canning some of our peaches. Nathan was a huge help. He peeled the skin off of all the peaches after I boiled them and then he finished cutting the peaches once I started filling the jars. I was a little worried about how my peaches would turn out because there was some liquid leaking out. But, after the 24 hour cooling time all the lids have sealed so........ I hope it really did work. I had so much fun canning the peaches I think Nathan and I might try to do a few more cans or we might even dry or freeze some of the peaches.

1 comment:

GrandpaSwat said...

YUM E!
Good thing that you've got a "Master Food Preserver" in the family. Do they have something like that in TX?